Thursday, December 27, 2007

Handling the Pyramid Objection as you Recruit for Your Network Marketing Business

Years ago having a good paying job seemed to be the ticket to success. Let's face it, isn't it nice to have someone matching your retirement plan money and paying for your family's insurance premiums? Absolutely. Unfortunately, the landscape has changed dramatically. With horror stories like Enron and Worldcom many hard working people lost their jobs and their pensions. The job market is simply not the same. That is why so many people have investigated network marketing. MLM's give people options that corporate america simply can't give. Here is an interesting conversation that picqued my interest.

A while back a new prospect was voicing a concern to me about working in the network marketing industry. He stated that he did not want to become involved in a pyramid scheme. Of course, that statement confirmed ignorance to the actual facts about MLM businesses. Unfortunately, this perception is quite common as I am sure you are aware. I decided to give this particular prospect a more detailed answer than I would normally give in this circumstance. The reason...he didn't come across as a cynic. Skeptics are fine, because a skeptical person will be open to valid arguments. A cynic won't. I simply choose not to deal with cynics anymore and neither should you.

Let's get back to handling the objection. MLM's are not illegal pyramids because the definition of an illegal pyramid is a business in which there are no products or services traded for money. So, for example, the old chain letters that we all have heard about would be an illegal pyramid. After discussing this concept for a few minutes I went on further.... I asked him if he ever saw a copy of his family tree or a chart of the food groups. How about the food chain comprised of the feeding habits of various animals. Aren't these all in the shape of a pyramid? He replied, yes. In fact, the pyramid is one of the strongest geometrical shapes. I then asked him a question. Did he ever see a schematic of a corporate organization? He didn't see where I was going with this. So, I drew a picture of a pyramid. I asked him, in the corporate world who would be at the top of the pyramid? He replied, the CEO of course. Now how about on this second level? He said, there would be a few vice presidents, perhaps. And, how about on this third level? He stated..Probably a few managers. And on we went, down to the last level which was comprised of secretaries who work for secretaries and receptionists. He asked me what was my point.
Here is where it got interesting...

I circled one of the manager positions and asked him the following...Let's say one of the manager positions opened up. Perhaps a manager retired or got fired. Now let's say three people below the manager level were qualified to apply for the manager position. How many of those three applicants would get the job. My new prospect said, one, of course. So you mean that two people would lose? He agreed.

I asked him... Did you notice the shape of this corporate organization? He said yes, it looks like a pyramid. I then asked him one last question. Do you think for a minute that any of the secretaries have a chance to be the CEO of the business? He said absolutely not. Well, then, you need to take a really good look at network marketing, because in our "pyramid" everyone can literally be the CEO of their own business. And you know what else.. Remember when that manager position became available in the corporate example? In network marketing, all three applicants can reach that level if they choose!

The new prospect looked at me in a totally different light. He finally understood why network marketing is so compelling to many people.

2 comments:

Ty Tribble said...

Why not just say:

"No it's not a pyramid scheme, pyramids are illegal, I'm talking about a legitimate business that has allowed me to create a six figure income from home."

DrSantoro said...

Ty, thanks for your post. You bring up an important point. What you use to answer this common objection is fine for some prospects. The rationale for a more detailed response is simply this...Not everyone will accept your answer completely. Sure, they may nod their head in agreement, however you may have some prospects who do not accept your answer but are too intimidated to take you to the next level. I have found that a more detailed answer allows the new prospect to really understand the concept, and accept it. Sometimes I will actually have a short conversation about the objection with the new prospect. I want the new prospect to ask me additional questions about the objection. The more they participate in the conversation the more I know that they are accepting the answer or simply blowing me off. Once I evaluate that situation I can determine if I choose to continue my interview process with the potential rep.

I am sure you have had success with your answer probably because you have good posture and attitude when you say it. I have used that technique in the past and changed my approach based on the percentage of conversions I had with each techique.

Remember, just becaue you have the attitude that makes your new prospects believe in what you say, does not mean that your downline has the same confidence. An extra way to deal with objections is always a good thing to have in your arsenal.

Good luck to you. For additional information on various aspects of network marketing including powerful lead generation tools that help newbies to veterans- go view my articles at ezinearticles.com Look under my name for the titles that interest you.